Saturday, March 31, 2012

Swiss Barbecue Chicken Sandwiches

I have fallen in love with a new barbecue sauce! I have never been to the Carolina states, but if this is what their barbecue is like, then sign me up. I took this barbecue sauce and morphed it into a sauce for a chicken sandwich that we all liked; even Mason ate it...reluctantly. 

Ingredients
3/4 cups Bull's Eye Carolina style barbecue sauce
1/4 cup Del Monte Ketchup (this ketchup has no HFCS in it!)
1 TBSP yellow mustard
8 Sara Lee Hamburger Buns (I can't remember which ones these are, but they are the 3-point ones)
2 cups chopped, cooked chicken (I boiled mine in water)
1/2 cup chicken water (reserve from boiling)
8 slices Swiss cheese

I boiled my chicken in a large stock pot, then drained it except for 1/2 cup. Shred the chicken and use 2 cups of it (if you have extras, you can freeze it--or use it. I am basing my Points+ on 2 cups, though). Add BBQ sauce, ketchup and mustard. Stir together and heat up to a simmer. Add in the chicken and simmer for at least 15 minutes. To plate, take one bun, split it and add cheese on the bottom, then top with the chicken and top of bun respectively.

VERDICT: I was pleasantly surprised at how good this was. I wanted to use an entire cup of BBQ sauce, but I only had 3/4 left, so I improvised with ketchup, and lo and behold, I really liked it! I would not change this at all. Well, I might add an onion, but other than that, this is great for us. The recipe yields 8 servings at 8 Points+ per serving.

No comments: